Hi, we're Ryan and Ashley Daly, two people who live in Tulsa, Okla. We have a house, a dog, and a baby girl named Harriet. We needed somewhere to put all of the things we think about, all of the things we feel, and all of the things that will make our little family what it is.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Like your daddy


I read an article recently where the female author notes that one thing she didn't expect in motherhood was the extreme pleasure of seeing her husband in her child. She writes that she loves her partner more than anything in the world and had never imagined the joy of having more of him in another little person. 


Sweet Harriet,

I love your daddy to the moon. He's my very best friend, and every day and everything is better because of him. I will love you for you, but I already adore that you are one half the exact same makeup as the best person I know. Here are some things I hope you get from your pops.

His kind, kind heart. He's so considerate of me and those close to him. Ryan Daly gets you sensitive toothpaste if he hears you mention your gums started to hurt a little. 



His industrious spirit. Your dad wakes up each day and does stuff. He almost always makes your mom breakfast because he knows I may not eat as healthfully if he doesn't (He makes me "toad in the hole" or, as I call it, "egg in the basket." We'll feed you it too someday.). He goes to his job each day, and I marvel as he seems to get so much out of learning, contributing and making progress there. He works out most days to take care of his body. Then he comes home to make dinner and spend time with his wife, puppy and soon-to-be you. He can be busy and not anxious, and I really admire that about him.



His cheeky sense of humor. We laugh every day, often. We share a nuanced outlook on life, and I am certain you will be one of us. And our inside jokes will become secrets for three instead of two. We plan to be quite charmed by you and with you.

His musical ability. Your momma loves to sing, but cannot clap on the beat without some help and focus. I hope you are like your dad and can play instruments. It's ok if you can't; Mom still enjoys music, and we can listen to your dad together. He already wrote you a song, by the way.

What we hope most is for you to be kind and honest with yourself and others. We promise to devote our lives guiding you to this and holding ourselves to the same standard.

We love love love you!

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment