Hi, we're Ryan and Ashley Daly, two people who live in Tulsa, Okla. We have a house, a dog, and a baby girl named Harriet. We needed somewhere to put all of the things we think about, all of the things we feel, and all of the things that will make our little family what it is.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Things we bought for you

You're getting close now - weeks not months. We've had two showers, and we've ordered all the things we need that we didn't get as gifts from the people that love you. But by far my favorite things that we've bought for you we actually bought as gifts for one another on Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day.

What I got for your mom - Cat Stevens' album Tea for the Tillerman. When we were first dating your mom and I would listen to this album and sing along to two songs, "Wild World" and "Hard Headed Woman". I think both of them describe your mom. "Wild World" is written as advice to a naive young girl to remember that it's hard to get by on a smile. Your mom has a beautiful spirit and a sweet way like the girl in the song. "Hard Headed Woman" is about a man who's looking for a hard headed woman - someone who will challenge him.

What your mom got me - a tiny pair of Vans sneakers that look just like the ones that your mom and I have. I like to picture putting them on you before I wrap you around me and take you on all my Saturday errands - getting a coffee at our favorite place and chatting with the owner and his daughter, the flea market, the record store and bringing your mom lunch at Retro Den. We can be little twinkies.

I can't wait to cart you around with me and play this record for you when we're up fussing at night.

We love you, Harry Lou!
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment