Hi, we're Ryan and Ashley Daly, two people who live in Tulsa, Okla. We have a house, a dog, and a baby girl named Harriet. We needed somewhere to put all of the things we think about, all of the things we feel, and all of the things that will make our little family what it is.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

flower garden when you were two

You are about a week and a half into being two-years old. Look at those big brown eyes and your sweet smile.

Hi Sweetheart,

Yesterday, we picked the last of our flowers from the flower garden in our backyard. Sharing this weekly, sometimes daily ritual has been such a beautiful part of motherhood for me. We put our boots on and you hold my hand to step down the back steps and walk on the pavers. You used to have to stay very close to me at the beginning of the summer, and I watched your steps more carefully. Three months later, you are more independent. I cut the flowers ("with purple scissors) and you take the bloom and put it in the jar with water. Sometimes you tell me which one to cut. 

Some days we will name a person to pick a flower for, and you show me which one they would want. 

You added a stick to our last arrangement for the summer. I love that you did that.

Any time I can feel like we are best buddies on an important adventure together, my heart fills with pride and joy. You are so fun to know. You grow peaceful when you're outdoors. You always have. Even as a crying new baby, we'd take you outside, and you'd calm. I guess that's some handy knowledge for your middle school years, teen years, college years, early career years, and even early motherhood, should you go that route. 

Outside has always calmed me too. I feel loved outside. Like the world was made for small pleasures and simple beauty. 

Here are some photos from our adventures this summer. I bought a book on growing cutting flowers, and I am going to try to plant an even more prolific and fun garden for us next year. I cannot wait, and I hope you still want to hold my hand when we go out. It's my favorite. 

I love you,
Momma 



No comments:

Post a Comment